Fiber to the School
For several years now, the BRIC has been supporting schools in the Brussels-Capital Region within the framework of the Multimedia plan. For example, in 2013 the secondary schools have seen their IT resources extended with tablets, a server and PCs or interactive whiteboards, based on the choice made by the school.
In 2014, the BRIC has launched Fiber to the School, a project aiming to provide the 168 secondary schools in Brussels with a 100Mbps broadband internet connection so that they can benefit from internet access to meet their teaching needs. The roll-out of this initiative – a new milestone in the Brussels-Capital Region’s Multimedia plan – will be spread over a period of six years, i.e. at a rate of 28 schools per year.
The BRIC has mandated IRISnet scrl/cvba to install this infrastructure, the costs of which will be borne entirely by the Region. Given the scale of the project and the technical requirements involved, it will not be possible to link up all schools in the short run. Nevertheless, the as-is situation must be identified for each of the schools in order to gather essential data for the initial planning of the project, even if the fiber-optic connection is not expected to take place for a couple of years. To this end, the IRISnet teams will have contacted by the end of 2016 the resource persons at the educational institutions in question. These resource persons will be the single point of contact for the project at the school and will help to ensure the smooth implementation of the project.
How to participate in the initiative
The Fiber to the School plan is reserved exclusively to secondary schools of the Brussels-Capital Region, with one 100Mbps fiber-optic internet connection to be provided per school registration number (convention number). Educational establishment with several sites will therefore only receive one connection.
To take part in the Fiber to the School plan, contact us!
1. Participation and inventory of the premises (2014-2016)
- All the secondary schools of the Brussels-Capital Region will be invited by letter to participate in the Fiber to the School plan
- The schools can register using the participation agreement
- All the schools will be contacted by IRISnet to determine the ‘as-is’ situation
2. Deployment (2014-2019)
- Each year around 28 schools will be connected to the IRISnet fiber-optic network
- The schools selected will be informed at the end of the year prior to the year they will be connected. The choice of schools will depend on technical requirements, time needed to obtain a permit and the scale of the work required. Given the number of factors and requirements involved, every school will be connected as soon as possible and will be fully informed.